Monday, July 21, 2008

Fear and Gratitude

Fear and gratitude. I’m finding they go hand in hand when it comes to being a parent. I mentioned in my last post how everything we suffer as a parent is worth it. A few months ago, I learned that the oldest daughter of a friend of mine from high school, was diagnosed with Leukemia. She’s 3 years old. The same age as L. Cancer. I still have a hard time wrapping my brain around it.

Now, it often occurs to me, that my children could be taken away in an instant. I know it happens all the time. But I'm still trying to learn how to live my life and live with the fear. The fear does fade into the background of my mind getting covered by the monotony of my everyday life, but it doesn’t ever seem to go away. I watch E sleep with her legs tucked beneath her, her round, little bottom up in the air, her cheeks rosy and pink — or L running and jumping and leaping and laughing, so full of spirit, so full of life. Those are the moments I’m so overcome by the intensity of the love tangled with the fear of loss. The possibility of a loss so incomprehensible it’s enough to drive any parent to the edge. Instead of giving into the fear, of obsessing over things I have absolutely no control over, I try to live in the moment, to count my blessings, to truly appreciate how unbelievably lucky I am to have such healthy children. Am I just being neurotic or is this just part of being a parent?


This is a rhetorical question by the way, I’m fully aware of how neurotic I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are NOT neurotic. A bit stressed at the moment?-- Yes.
It is hard to overcome the fear. You aren't alone. I am the same way. I have to stiffle the urge to just squeeze the hell out of my girl every day, b/c I'm just so damn afraid that she might be taken away from me, she might grow up to fast, something bad might happen, etc. It's maddening. But being aware that it can be fleeting is good, I guess. Makes us more willing to love with all of our hearts.

Goodies for Mom said...

Don't worry I'm neurotic too. LOL!

Blogging for Blood Cancer Event - August 11-18

Please consider joining our “Blogging for Blood Cancer” Event. The first annual “Blogging for Blood Cancer” event will take place from August 11-18, 2008. This first time event will bring bloggers from across the United States together to raise awareness for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and its mission to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. More information on the event is available at: http://goodiesformom.blogspot.com/2008/07/blogging-for-blood-cancer-event.html

Thanks for your consideration.